Tuesday 29 May 2018

Preparing to "Seize The Outpost"

There was a little bit more preparation required after the first Test Of Honour scenario than I'd anticipated, hence this post before the upcoming AAR.

First of all, there was 'character progression' in the form of "Skills" to be adjudged and awarded using the supplied Skills Deck, which is shuffled and then one card is dealt for each opposing warrior 'cut down' during the battle - these cards are then examined before selecting one which is assigned to the group leader.
(There's a second use of the Skills Deck which will be introduced in the next scenario)
There was only one card to be dealt since only Murayame Tanjiro was cut down, and as a result, Saito Yoshihito gained the "One With Nature" skill which allows him to move through rough terrain without movement penalty.

Next, the second encounter in the Test of Honour "Battle Guide" requires three buildings, which could be represented on the table by the 2D terrain included in the 'starter' box.
Fortunately though, I'd previously acquired the three "Small Minka" (plus their Torii and bridges) from TT Combat when I was accumulating items for the Sengoku Jidai project - so all I had to do was get 'em built and painted after the "First Clash" encounter.
The Test Of Honour rules treat buildings in a simplified way as 'solid obstacles', stating that doors are locked/barricaded to prevent warriors entering. I can accept this abstract use of buildings as 'representative terrain' for mass battle rules, but not skirmish level, so will be allowing access and use of buildings in my games. I don't think I even have to amend the rules to accommodate this, but we'll see!

Finally, I needed to paint up some more minis for second encounter. "First Clash" was played with two equal, predetermined forces and ignored the game's points system. "Seize The Outpost" sees the two opposing samurai meeting again, but this time leading forces selected within a 'recruitment limit' of 15 points. (All warrior and upgrade costs are shown in the top right corner of their cards)
Tanjiro has been recovering from the injuries sustained in the previous encounter, and has kept his Takeda clan warriors from that skirmish, simply adding a unit of Experienced Spearmen and a Sergeant to the roster.
Meanwhile, Yoshihita has allowed one of his individual bowmen leave of absence to visit his family - craftily freeing up 1 point, and recruited a unit of Experienced Bowmen and a unit of experienced Spearmen.
These are Perry and AW miniatures respectively, and saved time assembling multi-part minis from the core set and painting time because they're not wearing sashimono!

So, it's been a busy Bank Holiday weekend regarding work, hobby and social - it was my Mum's 90th birthday on Saturday. I only mention this because I had to give my niece a lift to and from the Caernavon Arms where we had a family gathering meal...........
........ and they have a rather nice "Ship Room", complete with sloping paneled walls and windows!
Now here's the weird bit - when I dropped my niece back at home, I had to walk past a skip in front of a house that's been sold and the new owners are having a clear-out.......
.... and I found this pair of rather beaten up kids toys!
I dunno what they were, but I've got an incling about what they're going to be with a bit of work!
That's a 28mm mini I've posed on the back of the nearest vessel to give an idea of size / scale.

Serendipity, or Cosmic Ordering? I dunno, and will leave it to you to decide.


20 comments:

  1. Nice scenery for the next encounter Greg, the new miniatures have turned out really well, and what an excellent find, amazing what can turn up when not really looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, TT Combat buildings are certainly a good choice when 'speed is of the essence' - I find them less "fidley" to assemble than other mdf kits. These three are currently in base coat and will get a bit of weathering and detailing in due course.

      Delete
  2. What a great find Greg :) like I said in my last post not matter how much stuff we have done there's always more stuff to be done, the buildings are perfect for your setting but tbh I never use the inside of buildings in games but I know a lot of people like to so I hope the rule you made up work.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank :-)
      I'm now a certified "skip rat" - much to SWMBO's embarrassment since she was with me at the time!
      I've watched too many duels taking place within the confines of buildings in the old samurai movies to keep the action out in the open ;-)

      Delete
    2. My own SWMBO knows her pain :) you need to stop watching that snickers add with Mr Bean in it lol

      Delete
    3. I dunno about you, but I'm certainly not myself when I'm hungry ;-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent! If it had been me all current projects would be immediately thrown out of the window as I started pirate ship building! Happy Birthday to mum too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - it's very tempting Michael :-)
      Mum had a great day thanks (and the "Crab Cakes" at the restaurant were delicious!)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your "Seize The Outpost" I remember this scenario from the game books.

    I think that's one of the top points about Test of Honour actually. With most games, most people feel the need to paint all the box contents first before playing any game. But Test of Honour does something differently. It presents you will a ton of miniatures all unassembled on sprues, and then presents you a series of linked adventures to play out, each of which only require you use a few miniatures at a time: allowing you to slowly building up the assembled and panted models.. literally as you progress through the mini campaign. An excellent way to present a game I think. ToH certainly gives Bushido a run for its money in its sheer `ease of to buying into` factor alone I think.

    I am loving reading your AAR`s, and look forward to you doing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hils, and it's a good job you're right about the way ToH introduces more minis to the table gradually - the old Wargames Factory range is quite time consuming to assemble, but well worth the effort :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Greg. First up those TT Combat buildings certainly look the business, Secondly, your figure painting is very good indeed. Thirdly, happy birthday to your mum. 90 is such a remarkable age. And finally, what a terrific find with those two galleons. I see a new project lurking for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Bryan thanks :-)
      I'm hoping the ships will appear in existing campaigns rather than setting sail for a whole new project ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Greg lots going on, the minka look great, in general I don't like MDF but these seemed better, I've just had another look and it's because I can't see the finger joints. Are the roofs card so they can take the curved shape? With a bit of attention these will be excellent buildings. A good find.
    I'm intrigued by the campaign system and what Hils said about it, maybe more than meets the eye.

    Finally Cosmic Order - pirates, we want pirates, have you seen the Black Scorpion ones, or the Reaper ones, it's funny because recently I bought some with the thought of moving my Gothic horror on 100 years into the age of tricornes and highwaymen. Cosmic Order!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John, and yep, the roofs are card (as are the frame and door panel overlays).
      The campaign is centered on the samurai "heroes" - the 'Cut Down' result is the same as Two Hour Wargames 'Out Of Fight' result, so they're not (necessarily) dead ;-) Also they acquire additional "Skills" through the campaign as well as carrying "Wounds" and/or "Dishonour" - both of which obviously have negative affects.

      As for "Pirates", I think the planetary alignment means they're somewhat inevitable ;-)

      Delete
  7. The buildings are looking excellent dude. Happy Birthday to your mum as well! 90 is a super age to reach!

    The ships are both a bargain! I am sure with a bit of work they will make for some awesome Fantasy Pirate games!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment and the birthday wishes Simon - I hope I've inherited my Mum's longevity, especially when I look at my paint queue! ;-)

      I just couldn't believe my luck when I spotted those ships, and no, I didn't feel a single twinge of embarrassment when I rescued them (unlike SWMBO when she witnessed the act!)

      Delete
  8. It's a good system that allows you to progress at the pace of the rule-book scenarios nd your buildings look the part .
    And what a find! I doubt that there is anyone reading this that's not jaealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, full marks to the games design team I reckon - especially since the introductory games are actually enjoyable to play as well :-)

      The only problem with that find is that 'empty' skips are going to be such a disappointment from now on ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a great find mate! Serendipity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had the same luck with the lottery ;-)

      Delete