Saturday 22 July 2017

"Terrain-ing Programme"



Phew! What a week - on top of my regular (irregular) work schedule, there's been trips to the local airport for a friend at ungodly hours, taking over the "school runs" for an injured colleague, and an afternoon at the hospital with my Dad for a CT scan.
In between times though, I've managed to press on with some urgently needed terrain features!

I'd started painting the barn I got from the really cheap supplier on ebay while Brad and Hannah were still out in the rural areas of north Texas. I'm sure it'll still come in handy at some point in the future!
It needs some detail picking out and then some washes to finish the exterior.
The interior is still a blank canvas....




Then there's a suburban house from TT Combat which I've given a coat of spray primer - well two coats actually, a darker grey on the roof which will be the actual colour.
Just like the 'cheapo' buildings, the TT Combat structures lack interior detail, so any dividing walls will have to be scratchbuilt from foamcore.





I've also just finished assembling a pair of apartment blocks from TT Combat, as I continue the frantic race to build a new urban game board!



Finally, a visit to the local charity shop turned up two well battered Yank cars for 50p. Slightly smaller scale than 1/43rd which I normally use, but they should paint up OK as burned out or well rusted 'wrecks'.
Oh yes, and I assembled and painted another three Mantic zombies. This takes the zed count to 91, so if I continue painting 'in threes' I'll hit the 100 milepost in three more sessions (whoop whoop!)




The hecticity continues apace this weekend, but I hope to get a bit more done during the 'breathing spaces'. Thanks for dropping by, and whatever you're doing this weekend, have a good one!



10 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Greg, with lots of eye candy on show. I'm very tempted by the "TT Combat" buildings but the thought of painting them really is putting me off - so some straightforward palette suggestions would be much appreciated - such as the grey tone suburban house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I wish my "cardstock fu" was a fraction of Bryan's (I'm terrible at it!) - the appeal of assembling pre-coloured PDF buildings with NO PAINTING involved is my goal.
      The grey primer is just poundshop/poundland/ etc grey primer and I'll be painting over the top of it, so I'll make sure I do a follow-up post with the colours.
      I've now got several of the TT Combat kits, and they are a breeze to put together :-)

      Delete
  2. That's a nice haul of buildings and scenery you have there, Greg. All very useful for zombie apocalypse games. I look forward to seeing them all painted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, I'm still working on overcoming my excess of thumbs when it comes to PDF buildings (I've got LOADS sitting on my hard drive), so "thank heavens" for the MDF kits in the meantime!

      Delete
  3. Some lovely stuff there mate. I've got similar buildings from Sarissa and I've never fitted them out as I find the interiors too small, but look great from the outside. I've decided, now to make all my own buildings that way I can kit them out how I want them. As to painting them, I use normal house emulsion, watered down as it can get very pricey using model paint (mdf just drinks paint)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Andy - I recently found out that Sarissa are only half an hour down the road from here, so it would be rude not to pay them a visit and sample their wares ;-)
    Your building interiors looked just great in the last AAR, the rooms define the action areas and still allow figure bases in there and furniture like "the kitchen table" just spring to life from the narrative (probably just as you saw them in your minds eye during the game)
    Thanks for the paint tip, at the moment "The Works" have a range of 'Crafters Choice' acrylic's in some VERY nice shades and they're only 99p each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the TT buildings but their doors seem to be enormous, which has restrained my puchasing any. Great car finds though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, now you've mentioned it, they do look a bit on the large side.
      I'll try "shrinking" them with a subdued colour choice.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see the buildings. Zombieville is slowly growing is size!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I've had a couple of "hiccups" with the new terrain boards, which I'll explain in tomorrow night's post (after tomorrow's game!).
      A bit of a re-think is in order unfortunately, but first it's time to try and find Hannah's brother!

      Delete