Sunday 18 October 2020

Zomtober 2020 Week Three

 This week containing Zombies!

As promised in last week's post, I assembled and painted the sprue of Fireforge zombie peasants. There are "empty handed" left and right arms on the sprue, but not enough to build all six miniatures without any of the improvised weapons - and it's been one of those up-and-down weeks which hasn't seen me in the best frame of mind to bother with any conversion work. In the end, I'm quite pleased that I went with the decision to do them this way, since they're destined to populate the blighted villages in the Erewash valley of my Witchfinder General campaign and can be used as a strain of undead which pose a higher level of threat than the usual "common zombie"!

Continuing to rummage through the unpainted pile, I found this "Zombie Vampire Witch" and did a quick paint job on her to up my tally for the challenge.

Again, she's destined to appear in the Witchfinder General campaign, no doubt up to no good and providing a strong link between the Vampires and Witches.

A sneak peak to next week by way of a "before" photograph of a piece of terrain I intend to finally tackle. This poor old Games Workshop graveyard actually spent several years outdoors, cemented in behind the church on my garden railway. Wildly under scale, it helped to give a "forced perspective" and the illusion of distance to the scene. I'd resumed gaming again when the church was relocated, so the graveyard was rescued and brought back indoors for use on the wargames table - but the ravages of the weather haven't received attention (and yes, there's still the remains of concrete around the edges!!)

I've no idea how much TLC I'll actually lavish on it, but hopefully by this time next week it'll look a darn sight better than it does now, so please call back for the final Zomtober offering. Oh yes, there'll also be more zombies! (Well, at least one, IF my 'cunning plan' works!!)

Many thanks as ever for visiting, and since it seems a much quieter Zomtober than previous years, PLEASE show your support for the other participants that are helping to keep the event alive.



18 comments:

  1. Those fireforge zombies look great - they make me miss Salute, as they’re the sort of thing that I can resist ordering from the comfort of my own home, but if I’d seen them in front of me I’d almost definitely have come home with a sprue or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for something to fill out the undead villagers and thought they'd be worth a punt - I wish I'd bought the "full box" now!

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Zombies Greg, and the vampire witch ( interesting combination)
    I'm sure you'll come up with something to rescue the graveyard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave - I've no idea exactly what she's meant to be or where she originates from. I found her in a traders rummage box among a load of minis from various kickstarters.
      The graveyard is making SLOW progress!

      Delete
  3. I well know the feeling when trying to stir up the enthusiasm and energy to tackle an old piece's regeneration - good luck with t it (it looks a good piece btw).
    Loving the zed peasants, but my eyesight would have liked a better witch pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only apologise for the pic Joe, I was trying to kill two birds with one stone by posing her where she'll "appear" in the campaign, but you're right - it's too fussy by far :-)

      Delete
  4. A very nice bunch that look very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil, just block colours on a brown basecoat with a wash to finish them off :-)

      Delete
  5. Yes, the zombies are rather good.

    I'm not so sure about the concept of a "zombie vampire witch", though - it seems to be trying to be everything and failing to be any one thing. Of course, if it's ironic then that's different...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I went a bit overboard there Hugh, but all will be revealed when the storyline resumes :-)

      Delete
  6. Tip top stuff, Greg. I especially like the Zed Witch idea as it reminds me of the one Warlord Games produced for their Judge Dredd game I painted for Zomtober a few years ago. Love the old Graveyard too - what a great find. I liked all the styrofoam scenery GW produced back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon, the moment I spotted the mini she helped me with the plot by providing an interesting link between the vampires and witches in the Erewash Valley :-)
      The graveyard proves just how durable those old foam terrain pieces are! I'm lucky enough to also still have my old "ruined tower" from the same era.

      Delete
  7. Sorry for the late replies guys. The internet has been up and down like a whores drawers while Talk Talk have been doing some kind of major "upgrade"?! to their network :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes something is better than nothing, good job with these figures but I have to say that graveyard piece looks to have a lot of promise it will look great tarted up and on your table. I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John - "something is better than nothing" indeed, but I've also come to realize that you CAN "have too much of a good thing"!
      As lockdown has rolled on (with no sign yet of a return to work for us), the extra 'leisure time' has let me get drawn into dabbling with other genres in the hobby, and the net result is that I'm getting less actually DONE. I really must get a grip :-)
      I've had a bit of a setback with the graveyard, but I'll talk about that in the next post :-)

      Delete
  9. Spooky :) Great work Greg & loving the Z's, but like Joe I couldn't really make out the vamp but I sure its equally as good.

    As for the graveyard, you'll be pleased to hear that it survived into the 41st M, I know this because I fought across it many a time LOL

    I'm sorry to hear that you still haven't gotten back to work mate, & while a wandering mind can come up with lots of different & wonderful ideas, its a focused one that gets things done ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like to know that...
      "A wandering mind can come up with lots of different & wonderful ideas, BUT its a focused one that gets things done!"
      Has now been printed onto card and hangs above my painting / computer desk.
      Many thanks for that Frank :-)

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's a great idea Greg, I should mostly do the same thing & practice what I preach :)

      Delete