Sunday 25 October 2020

Zomtober 2020 Week Four

 

Well, here we are, we made it through Zomtober – well, the painting challenge part, I've still to finish and write up the game I'm currently playing, but the aim is to post that for Halloween.

Now, I'm really pleased to able to say that “my cunning plan” has actually worked, and once again it's something a bit different! This started off as one of the spare heads from the undead peasants sprue from last week, which got me wondering about attempting a kitbash to produce a mounted general for my 'evil' fantasy samurai forces.

 

The body is from a Warlord Games mounted samurai sprue, with the torso suitably cut, filed and filled so he could lean forward in the saddle (the riding posture for a Wyverns neck IS quite different to a horses back). The Wyvern (Ikazuchi no hiryuu) itself is a Mage Knight model (Many thanks AGAIN Stevie!) which I simply rebased and gave a dark tone wash.

Since the rider is bare headed, I wanted his helmet (kabuto) attached to his waistband, which meant taking a head from the samurai sprue and drilling out the face – I'm quite pleased with the effect that adding this little detail has had on the rear view of the model.

Next up is the rejuvinated graveyard.


I cut a base from a sheet of thin plywood so that I could do something about how the model 'sits' on the table (it's moulded with quite a deep base, which just doesn't look right to my eyes). I cast some plaster flagstones to create steps leading up to the entrance, then used the last of my “Ready to use Instant Filler” to blend the edges of the graveyard to its new base – it really could have done with another tube, but even though it's the Home Bargains cheap stuff, I'm on a strict 'no hobby spend' at the moment!

After a quick flick round with the paint, my homebrew ground cover was applied followed by some highlighting by the addition of commercial sponge flock. I'm calling it “Done”, but in truth it's still technically a work-in-progress since my intention is to tittivate it a little further.

Abandon all hope ye who enter here!” - adventurer's eye view of the entrance.


MY final contribution this year marks the start of a new zombie horde in the form of these “mutated” undead. Stevie very kindly sent me a LOAD of minis from the Zombicide Toxic City expansions, and these are headed for the wastelands of my cyberpunk campaign.


And now for the bonus feature!

SWMBO expressed an interest in “having a go” at painting a zombie for the challenge this year, which of course I thought was a wonderful idea, and one which I fully endorsed – and here's the result (I LOVE the blood splatter!).


 

I think she's got the job!

Thanks to everyone who took part in the Zomtober Challenge this year, and many thanks to YOU for visiting. Your comments or queries are as always most welcome.


 

15 comments:

  1. Your general conversion looks excellent Greg, you've brought new life to your graveyard scenery piece as well.
    Off to a great start on your new zombies, and your wife has done an outstanding job on her contribution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave, and a big "Thank You" from my better half :-)

      Delete
  2. Would agree with all that Dave said above Greg, but have to add the new base on the graveyard with the steps leading up to it really brings the piece to life & seems to give it a feel of a place you really don't want to go into. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank - it's always a shame when the challenge comes to an end, but this year I REALLY enjoyed the final week!

      Delete
  3. Your conversion is first class and though a lot of work, imo was well worth it.
    The graveyard renovation has come out really well, the base certainly adds to it.
    Well done getting any help from your better half too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joe, and I DID keep your comment in mind about the "too fussy" photo of last week's entry in mind while taking these pics :-)
      I'm really hoping that with a bit of encouragement I can get 'The Financial Dictator' to paint some more from here on. She's already started playing HeroQuest (and enjoying it!), so who knows??

      Delete
  4. Love it, love it love it. She`s a keeper for sure.... hey maybe she`d like a job here painting some of our minis. We sure have a lot to get through and could keep her busy for a few years I`m sure *chuckles* Excellent stuff. Love the blood splatters. Very George Romero or Walking Dead.

    Love the post and really like your entries all round in the Zomtober thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, all i need to do now is tread carefully enough while persuading her to paint more without a) putting her off or b) walking myself into a "payback" situation :-)
      Many thanks for the comments buddy, and herself is over the moon that it meets with your approval!

      Delete
    2. Oh but she DESERVES lots of cred for it bud. Some people are just born naturals *points at her*

      Delete
    3. I second that motion.

      Yeppers its now official. Welcome to the club *winks* You realise there`s no going back now. Oh dear what have you started **winks** x

      Delete
    4. Cheers guys, your comments have been duly passed on (fingers are crossed) I do believe we have a convert :-)

      Delete
  5. Up late as we`ve just finished a session. His nibs showed me this.

    Sweetie, that's fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm passing on a BIG thank you from Jane - I've managed to get her playing (a bit of HeroQuest), and now painting, so who knows...... she might even start replying to blog comments before long :-)

      Delete
  6. she can come and paint my figures any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've showed Jane your comment - I can tell she's highly flattered, but as yet hasn't said whether or not she'll take up the offer :-)

      Delete