Thursday 9 May 2019

The last of the Sengoku fantasy minis.......

..... for now!
Yep, I've reached that happy/sad point where I've painted ALL of my accumulated mythical beings for my Sengoku era fantasy setting - happy because it's always satisfying to clear a painting queue, but sad because there's still gaps to be filled (though of course the challenge of filling those gaps will bring its own rewards)

I've already shown the Tengu minis from the Forbidden Fortress boxed game, but to join them here's the Dai Tengu from Zenit miniatures - a multi-part model, after priming and base coating him I unfortunately knocked him off the paint table! His left hand, head and wings were broken off in the fall but the repair job is acceptable for "tabletop standard"!!
This female ninja just HAS to be the worst Reaper Bones mini in my possession - I dunno if she's an old sculpt, but the proportions (especially her head) are just too 'spindly'. That aside, she's a welcome addition to the ninja collection.
These Reaper Bones "Turtle Men" have been pressed into service as Kappa, and in my minds eye fit the bill - they're a bit chunkier and more ferocious looking than some traditional images, but hey, whose fantasy world is this anyway??
The last of the "Creature Collection" are this pair of Reaper Bones Kitsune - again a slight deviation from some traditional images, but perfect for how I see them for my campaign in their fox form.
So, no more mythical beasts for the time being, but it nagged me that apart from the 4 heroes in the Forbidden Fortress set, I only had 'historical' minis in my human population -  what about a pair of 'High Fantasy' heroes?
Reaper to the rescue again with this onna bugeisha and samurai!
The customary group shot to finish and show size comparison, with the crafty male kitsune and stealthy female ninja hiding in the trees!

Thanks once again for dropping by, and for anyone wondering when the next AAR is due - now the painting's on pause, SURELY the gaming can resume!

17 comments:

  1. All great looking additions Greg, as for the AAR, fit it in when you have time we're patient and can wait to see it, as long as your having fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave :-)
      I'm certainly enjoying my hobby, but I'm less than happy with the 'chaotic' nature of my blog, and it's something I intend to tackle as I rapidly approach its second birthday!

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a colourful and characterful bunch of minis, Greg. I especially like the "Turtle Men" - awesome looking figures. Personally I always like a bit of chaos to a blog, as you never know what is coming next. But whatever you post, I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I did wonder about doing a simple weapon swap on the two turtle terrors, but left them 'as is' - so they won't look out of place if they just happen to crop up in a D&D adventure :-)

      Cheers for supporting the chaos (but then you would - "Blood for the Blood God!"), and because I'll only be ADDING genres to the blog in the future, upcoming posts will still flit from topic to topic.
      I really want to try "filing" everything in its proper place (eg, if someone clicks on the 'Witchfinder General' label, the campaign is readable without any detours or distractions) - and then keep the filing system strictly tidy in future ;-)

      Delete
  3. That is a most impressive collection of figures you have there, Greg. I'm hard pressed to pick a favourite simply because I love them all. Your paintwork has done them proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan, though you surprise me since even while I was painting her, I thought you'd pick out "Masumi the demon hunter" :-)
      For me, her partner "Nakayama Hayato, Iconic Samurai" is the pick of the bunch, simply because he's the ONLY armoured samurai mini I've ever seen with the identification tags (Aijirushi) worn in battle on the left shoulder armour.

      Delete
    2. You make a good point, Greg. But oddly enough, although you were somewhat critical of the female ninja I really love. The head doesn't bother me that much and if it did, I'd simply bulk it out with some Milliput. The main reason why I like her so much is because she's a female ninja - something you rarely ever see.

      Delete
    3. That second sentence should have ended with "I really love her."

      Delete
    4. You're absolutely right Bryan, and that's the reason I went ahead and added her to the collection - even though the images of the sculpt didn't overly impress me :-)
      Added to the female ninja from the Forbidden Fortress core set, the pair are still WAY outnumbered by the male contingent!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, but you can see why I don't normally "do" eyes ;-)

      Delete
  5. A very colourful lot, but the two humans really "pop" - especially that Samurai !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joe, and I'll happily take that as a "mission accomplished" for this batch of painting :-)

      Delete
  6. Quote: {{{{happy because it's always satisfying to clear a painting queue, but sad because there's still gaps to be filled (though of course the challenge of filling those gaps will bring its own rewards)}}}} ABSOLUTELY right, its a lovely feeling isn't it, and allows you to cherry pick` at a leisurely pace, to flesh out those missing choice pieces.

    So much to like here. Dai Tengu look great and actually I rather like the Ninja (I cannibalised some heroclix minis to make ninjas for my ToH). The Turtle Men really do it for me, and they just look fantastic (love how you`ve painted them). I use Turtle men from Super Dungeon Explore would you believe, and strangely, they work a treat in my homebrew ToH games: and you always gotta love the kitsune. Yours look awesome. Onna Bugeisha and the Samurai are possibly my favourites here though. Just love the symmetry of the poses.

    Magical stuff. Can`t wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly sir - aging eyesight and increasingly less-than-steady hands determine my painting abilities (which were never "high" even 'back in the day'), and is one reason I'm intending doing less of the Painting & Modelling posts ;-)
      Of course, more GAMING posts will hopefully be the result :-)

      Delete
    2. Oh you do yourself discredit sir, you`re abilities are beyond fine. I love them, others love them, and most importantly of all YOU love them. But naaaaa, you are over worrying. Even putting what I said above aside, your modelling is far FAR better than I think you realise.

      Delete