Tuesday 30 April 2019

Sengoku era fantasy additions.

Precious little hobby time these last few weeks, so alas, still no AAR. Thank goodness my painting setup allows me to grab a few minutes whenever possible, which has allowed me to at least have a few minis to form a blog post!
First up is the Reaper Bones Oni.
His size and wide stance meant he had to be mounted on a large base, but this is OK  since "in game" he will take multiple 'kills' to actually remove him from play and the base allowed me to incorporate a "wound tracker".
Next are a pair of Dixon Miniatures Dai Bakemono to lead the rank-and-file goblinoids into battle. The larger figure on the right is an actual Dai Bakemono, and I copied the skin tone for the smaller 'regular' Bakemono (as well as giving both of them more colourful armour) to distinguish him from the green skinned riff raff!
I believe this is an old Citadel Miniatures sculpt (please correct me if I'm wrong), and he now represents the necromancer in the Bakemono clan.
Of course, having a necromancer is no good unless there are some corpses for him to raise - these are additions to the "Dishonoured Dead" skeletal samurai (the plastic minis I got with the Forbidden Fortress game).
They're metal castings sold in pairs by Second City Games via ebay, but I have no idea what range they're from - if you know, could you please enlighten me via the comments section PLEASE 
Finally, yet another "unknown manufacturer" (though I suspect it might be from Zenit Miniatures), again, if you recognise him I'd love to know where he's from.
He's quite large compared to the rest of my 28mm collection, but he fits nicely as a typical 'larger than life' character typical of Japanese myth and folk tales.
While wielding the brush, I envisioned him as a mysterious traveller - possibly a travelling warrior monk, but whose side will he be on????
 To close, here's a group shot of the new additions, which shows their different sizes.
All that's left for this post is to thank you once again for visiting, and invite your comments, questions and critiques, which are always welcome.
I must also mention that with the blog's anniversary fast approaching, I'm intending making a few changes - nothing drastic, but hopefully a few tweaks and improvements which I've been meaning to do for some time.

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking models Greg, it's good that you've managed some hobby time.
    On the miniatures I can answer one, the necromancer was from Citadel Miniatures and was a Hobgoblin Shaman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, things have certainly been "hectic" and I'm SO glad that my painting set-up means I can manage a few minutes while having a brew :-)
      Many thanks on identifying the Hobgoblin Shaman - I know Citadel produced quite a few oriental looking types in their old ranges, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some more of them!

      Delete
  2. That's a fine bunch of figures, Greg, with my favourites being the skeletal samurai. I bet you knew I'd choose them, LOL! Sorry, I can't throw any light on where they come from. This is the first time I've seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, and yes, I could have predicted your choice of favourite :-)
      The ebay listing still has them available, but sadly (in my case) only the same four sculpts - I still might get another pair and do some minor conversion work on them ;-)

      Delete
  3. My word Greg, they look amazing! Those "Dishonoured Dead" look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Michael - but I thank you for the flattering comment :-)
      It's a shame no-one (that I can find) produces skeletal samurai cavalry or 'ashigaru' foot soldiers. If I want a complete undead force, the only way will be conversions :-(

      Delete
  4. For someone with little time you got a fair bit done Greg :) lovely paint job & I like the idea of the wound tracker on the base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank, it really has been a case of snatching the chance tp paint whenever I could. Little and often, but it got the job done :-)
      The wound tracker is an idea from "Dragon Rampant" and I've done them before, but went through the hassle of forming the dice 'pocket' from balsa strip before texturing the base. To speed things up, this time I simply applied the texture, then shaped the pocket before it set. Saved LOADS of time and does the job :-)

      Delete
  5. That looks fantastic Greg! And I love that wound tracker in the base, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ivor - the mini dice (5mm cubes) are cheap as chips on ebay, and the idea is straight from the Lion / Dragon Rampant rules when using "single" and "reduced model units".
      I intend using the above rules for some Samurai themed games, but I'll also use the idea for Test of Honour games :-)

      Delete
  6. I've got all the time in the world and yet produce next to nothing and you, with so little time manage to produce so much and it's all beautifully done too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Joe - and I hope you're not being too hard on yourself, I know well enough what it's like when the mojo takes a nose dive!
      Not having time to play the games I'm desperately wanting to (so that I can move the campaigns along), threatened to dampen my enthusiasm, but making "small gains" by painting up some of the minis that will be appearing in those campaigns keeps the momentum going.

      I don't really like posting "workbench" type stuff (even though I LOVE seeing other peoples!), and can't wait to get back to AAR's. :-)

      Delete
  7. Lots to adore here, but painting aside - I simply LOVE the inspired base on that Oni, where the small die sits at the rear of the base. Its an amazing idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stevie, but I can take no credit for the idea - it's just ONE of the neat mechanics I like in the Lion / Dragon Rampant rules :-)

      Delete
    2. Its still a great idea. I might have to steal it ^^

      Delete