Thursday 28 February 2019

February........

It might be the shortest month of the year, but this one's been a real drag and I'm glad to see the back of it!!
Complete days have been wasted because bankers and solicitors have had me jumping through hoops, and on top of that we've had yet more problems with our van - today's trip to the mechanics will probably be its last since we're now actively looking for a replacement. Thankfully it's not all bad news, but the arrival of a new kitten has also impacted on my hobby time due to the "man cave" being used to store all the 'stuff' that wasn't deemed to be kitten friendly (and according to Mrs G, that's a LOT of stuff!!)
Anyhow, the lesson I've learned from the experience is to give up making predictions about what and when specific topics will be appearing here on the blog - it seems that every time I do, something crops up to scupper my plans....... cause and effect?!?!

Anyhow, first off you'd better say hello to our new addition "Arwen"

and here (finally) are the photo's Ivor requested all those weeks ago! (I've only included a few, otherwise it would be a bit of a spoiler for the game reports).........
....all adventures in Forbidden Fortress start on the entrance tile (I've positioned a couple of Reaper Bones minis for scale)
 The gaming area is created by drawing cards from the map deck,
 which contains corridors like these examples,
 and rooms like these,
 as well as other features like this one,
 and here's its corresponding tile.
 The artwork on all of the tiles is equally impressive, and all of them are double-sided, printed on good quality card.

So, "Farewell February" and March is already looking better - 'retail therapy' (as well as a meet-up with fellow blogger Vagabond) at the Hammerhead show in Newark is this Saturday!

12 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Greg, sorry to hear it's been a bit hectic, hope you have a great time at the show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, but unfortunately the hecticity coninued :-(
      We broke down on the way home from Friday's gig - what did I say about "cause & effect"???

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear of your woes, Greg.
    Arwen looks so incredibly cute. Seeing him brings back so many happy memories of when my two cats first arrived in my house.
    Forbidden Fortress looks exactly like Shadows of Brimstone which doesn't surprise me. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan, but the curse continues - maybe the blog is possessed?! I had to get an oil seal replaced on the van before I could drive any sort of distance :-(
      Glad you like Arwen (named after the LotR film character - a departure from our Camelot theme), she takes our tally up to four, and yes, cat hair in the paint palette is a constant ;-)
      Thanks again for your blog posts about Shadows of Brimstone - your thoughts and descriptions of the game made the decision to buy the Fortress VERY easy! :-)

      Delete
  3. Good to see you;ve managed to find enough time to blog considering all the current real-life things happening.
    The artwork for the game looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe - it was "distraction technique" therapy, plus the determination to not allow February to COMPLETELY slip by without a single post.
      As mentioned above, real life continues to deliver kicks to the goolies. The van's alternator belt shredded and part of it wrapped itself behind the main crank pulley, tearing the oil seal. Got to the mechanic's on Saturday, but couldn't get all the parts (needed a new tension assembly as well as the seal) so it's not getting fixed until today (Monday) :-(
      On a much lighter note, all of the game components are excellent quality, and looking at the rules the gameplay is also VERY promising - but I'm making NO predictions about when I'll get to play through the intro scenario and get it posted on the blog ;-)

      I've managed to keep checking in on everyone's blogs with my phone, and hopefully now I'm getting more "computer time" I'll be able to comment :-)

      Delete
  4. Great to hear from you and that is a seriously cute kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, she's "too" cute! As soon as my missus saw her photo there was no way she could be talked out of getting her ;-)

      Delete
  5. Real life can really suck at times Greg, interesting looking game I like the idea of how the board is made, say hi to John for me when you guys meet up as he's off the air at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank, hopefully it won't be too long before I can feature some more of the Forbidden Fortress on the blog, but alas, my meet up with John wasn't to be :-(
      I'm now convinced that my blog is either haunted or possessed!! The number of times I've posted my plans, only to have them thwarted by "unforeseen circumstances" is beyond a joke - I'm calling in the Ghostbusters and an exorcist to try and get it sorted ;-)

      Delete
  6. I know the feeling dude. Its been a really hectic month for me as well. Hopefully you can catch up with things. Arwen looks very cute and best of luck with van hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Simon - sorry to hear you've been 'under the lash' as well and that things settle down soon.
      Got a replacement van lined up, but can't get it til the end of the month, so the old wagon's got to get us to Torquay and back this weekend ;-)

      Delete