Wednesday 9 January 2019

The Quest

For The last breath of Maeldoraz

First post for 2019, but it features a game we played in 2018 (during the Christmas hols), and is actually continuing an adventure that 'paused' in 2017!
My "Dark Conspiracy" fantasy campaign started life based around  Bluebook D&D for adventures and third edition Warhammer for battles, and was deliberately 'rules lite' for the benefit of the not-too-serious gamers in the little social group.
Dragon Rampant has since replaced Warhammer to provide the campaign battle results, and this game was a test to see if I can use an alternative set of  'dungeon crawler' rules so the campaign can speed up by continuing solo - over a year between episodes is just a little TOO slow!

The Story So Far....The party had been tasked by the Court Mage Nicodemus to recover an artifact (a metal cylinder containing the last breath of Maeldoraz) to prevent any attempt to revive the arch-necromancer.
At the end of the previous session , the party had made it to the chamber where the cylinder should be, but a previously unseen figure dashed up the stairs -
and out of the entrance, triggering a total collapse of the corridor and trapping the heroes,
 with no signs of another exit, and worse still, no sign of the cylinder!
WARNING What follows isn't a complete AAR. Since I was playing "away from home" I didn't have all of my accessories, set dressings etc to really make the game worthy of presentation - it's here in context of the rules change, and a mere 'taster' of what's to come.

Continuing The Tale.... A proper search of the chamber revealed a doorway under the stairs.....
a small room obviously occupied by the warden who had trapped them down here.
There was a lantern and oil flasks, plus some food rations and drinking water, along with reading, and presumably study material related to dark magik. A chest also contained two large red gemstones,
After some deliberation, they decided to see what would happen if the stones were placed in the eye sockets of the carved skull.
The idea proved to be right, as a portal materialized in front of them.
 After examining the portal as best they could (throwing a stone into it!), Pendora mustered her faith and led the party into the unknown.
~
Up to this point, everything had been previously scripted by myself while creating the dungeon to run as DM for the group. From here, I let "Four Against Darkness" take over. The system generated the dungeon and its contents, which I simply "narrated" for the group while I took it for a test drive.

Stepping through the portal, the group found themselves in another chamber with nothing but a single closed door.
Happy to be out of room they'd been trapped in, they now set about where they actually were.
The exit opened into a corridor, with another door diagonally opposite.
Opening this door revealed a room containing a chest .....
and another (locked) door.
No one was keen to open the chest and risk setting off another trap, the party deciding it was better to first explore their surroundings and then return to this room later if they got the chance (and also regretted not bringing along a Thief character!).
Heading back into the corridor, they proceeded along to the door at the end.......
where they encountered an ogre!
The adventurers seized the initiative and attacked,
and the ensuing melee went well - both for the party and as far as my 'trial' of the rules, since I wasn't looking forward to swapping the polyhedral dice (SO D&D) for simple D6's, but was pleasantly surprised with how well the system works.
Finding nothing of value in the room, the party chose one of the two exits and headed further into the dungeon, arriving at a four-way junction where they were confronted by some nasty looking huge rats.
The rats were obviously unhappy about the nasty looking adventurers which had appeared, because they fled and left the junction clear.
Having chosen which direction to take, the party continued along the corridor and after a while found two doors facing each other on either side. From the left was easily heard noise of movement and some kind of guttural speech (which sounded like goblins). The opposite door was locked, so they opened the one with the noises behind........
....and a HUGE scrap ensued!
Once again, I was more than happy with how the system handled the melee, so "Four Against Darkness" (4AD) received another tick-in-the-box from me.
Goblins might be a bit stupid, but 4AD certainly isn't, and the system worked wonderfully again as the gobbo's broke and fled.
The goblin's escape route went up a flight of stairs, so could possibly lead towards an exit, but at this point the adventurers decided to head back to the room containing the chest - the thought that it might contain the cylinder if it had been taken through the portal for hiding had been nagging them. Before they could find out though, they had to get past a Carrion Crawler which was prowling the corridors looking for a meal!

And at this point I'm going to break off from the tale - as I said at the start, this post was never intended to be a "narrative AAR" (and since it was very much a 'beer & pretzels' session the photo's got much worse from this point onwards!), but a general overview of how I'm running my dungeon adventures, and as well as a mention of the rules, I'd like to showcase how I represent the game on the table.
As much as I'm a big fan of the eye candy that some players produce using products like Dwarven Forge to lay out table-spanning dungeons, I've always DM'd by only presenting the players with what they can "see" on the table top - taking it up as they progress and forcing them to memorise / map or run the real risk of getting lost. This is really easy when using a 2 dimensional tile system, but creates a bit of a challenge in 3D.
Years ago, I bought some "WizzKids" sets, but wasn't a fan of the peg hole's which gridded the floor sections - they restricted the layout and all the 'unused' holes just spoiled the look in my opinion,
so I decided to cut off the pegs (which were prone to snapping off anyway!) and replaced them with tiny magnets which I glued into holes I'd drilled out for the purpose.
I bought one of those "magnetic" notice boards from Wilkos and covered it with printed 'dungeon tiles' from Fat Dragon Games and simply set up the dungeon areas with a selection of wall and door sections - here's how the ogre encounter above was done.
I thought I'd been quite clever, but later found (by accident late one night while rooting around on ebay) that something similar had already been done...

I loved the "Old Skool" look of the artwork, and the guy was selling two sets worth of bits in one box at a great price, so I bolstered my dungeon with them - even though I'm not overly keen on the bases of the dungeon sections!

That just about wraps this post up, apart from a mention that I have one more solo system to try out.....
and will feature it in a future post. In the meantime though, a belated Christmas present has just arrived and I'm itching to get it opened!! Suffice to say that it will be the topic of conversation for the next entry on the blog!
Thanks for visiting, and as ever your comments, questions, suggestions or criticisms are more than welcome.



23 comments:

  1. Thoroughly intriguing post, Greg, which I enjoyed a lot. I too own "Four Against Darkness" but haven't had a chance to play it, so I read your dungeon exploits with great interest. Nice to see some of the old "Wizkids" scenery making a return too. Thanks for taking the time to post this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, and apologies for my lack of posts and comments so far this year - time to play catch-up now :-)
      You've probably guessed that I can only recommend 4AD! Even though it was written "for pen and paper adventures" it works for the table top with no effort at all, and being a "rules lite" system makes tinkering (like adding different monsters, traps etc) just SO easy :-)

      Delete
    2. That was wonderful Greg from story to sets to cast I really enjoyed it, I'm taking part in a D&D adventure myself at the moment but sadly it does not involve models, but while its not always possible to do so I find its adds so much to the game.

      I'll wait until your report on Dungeon Crawl before looking into it but it has me very interested :)

      Delete
    3. Cheers Frank - the sets would have looked much better if I'd taken along my "box of bits", and since the next game will be at home I'll definitely try and improve the 'look' :-)
      From the read-through, I don't like the way combat is handled in "Two Hour Dungeon Crawl" and will have to tweak it - expect a game report soon though!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a lot of fun, which surely is the number one criteria of any game. I own the THW Dungeon Crawl supplement but have never played it. I'd be interested to see your thoughts on it. I found it a mixed bag with some good bits and some bad bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twas the season to be jolly, so we certainly had some laughs during the game Bryan :-)
      From my own read through of THDC I agree with you - the abstract method of handling combat springs to mind as one of the bad points. The jury is out until I get a game played, which will hopefully be sooner rather than later :-)

      Delete
  3. Nice report Greg, not having played a dungeon crawl in many years, you've rekindled an old interest, whether this amounts to anything will have to wait and see, as I don't want to have too many projects on at the same time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, but you've already mentioned the catch - if you've played a good old dungeon crawl in the past, you'll ALWAYS be up for another :-)
      Sheer nostalgia if nothing else!

      Of course the beauty of it is that you don't really need any more than a root through your old painted minis to put together a "party" and a bunch of "monsters" to oppose them - Old Skool dictates 'High Fantasy', but in this day and age sci-fi would work just as well.... look at Games Workshop's latest "Warhammer Quest" offering ;-)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous fun Greg, love the photography and what a great idea for a board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Michael - the good old pocket instamatic made it easy to snap the low level shots between game turns, and captured my (REALLY) old minis in all their block painted glory :-)
      Very much a blast from the past and we had a great time :-)

      Delete
  5. I tend to use my home brew rules for dungeon crawl games but these seem cool, nice write up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy - I never progressed beyond 1st edition Advanced D&D (started with "Tunnels & Trolls" because it was in the shops before D&D, and never lost the love of its simplicity), and got addicted to using all the multi sided dice ;-)

      Delete
  6. Some interesting thoughts Greg, the walls and tiles work very well, better than pencil and paper in my opinion but I guess I'm more of a figures man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks John, I'm sure some of the modular dungeon products would look a lot better, but I know for sure they'd be a lot more expensive, take longer to set up, and take up a load more (precious) storage space :-)

      Hoping to post more about rules soon, but I have a little distraction to take care of first ;-)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like it was fun. Looking forward to reading more on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - definitely more to come, it's a pet project that's been on a slow burn for so long that I almost gave up on it and went with one of the "Bog Box" (and big bucks) alternatives like Massive Darkness or Gloomhaven :-)

      Delete
  8. That was awesome Greg! Well done mate, can't wait to see more!
    *I'm kinda moving in this direction game-wise and this will be great inspiration :)*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks indeed Ivor, and you've got me REALLY intrigued to see exactly what direction you mean :-)
      There's certainly more to come, but as mentioned above, I have a "distraction" to take care of in the next post ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a wondeful jolt to my memories of D&D !
    The genre has come a long way from my 2D rooms. I always thought that 3D corridors would be difficult to set up and that players would keep knocking them over, but you seemed to have managed rather well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a hint of nostalgia for a lot of us with D&D Joe - it's definitely one of the reasons I enjoy revisiting it :-)
      I've enjoyed the "claustrophobic" feel of 3D corridors ever since the old days of 2D map tiles, when we used Lego brick walls - it certainly helps the hot-headed warrior types understand why they CAN'T swing their axe/sword from where they're standing ;-)
      The magnetic walls do occasionally get moved or knocked over in the heat of the moment (or to get a camera in for a shot!), but they're so quick and easy to reposition that I'd say there's no detriment to the game - I'll probably STILL experiment further though, maybe with some "Hirst Arts" style moulds.

      Delete
  10. Excellent excellent, EXCELLENT post. Thoroughly enjoyed this one from start to finish. Insightful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks Stevie. Coming from your good self, that's actually boosted my confidence that I might be on the right track with this project! :-)
      There's no way of replacing the social interaction (and resulting "randomness") of a GROUP rpg experience, but many moons ago, the solo Tunnels & Trolls modules and Fighting Fantasy game books sowed the seed that it MUST be possible to include an "adventuring" element to a solo fantasy campaign.

      Delete
  11. Absolutely. You are so on the right track. Stay tuned to TGC and you'll find lots of solo rpg being done in the not too distant future. I don`t pride myself (that`s arrogant vanity) but I dooo strive, after a life time of enjoying solo, to perfect solitaire play into a bit of an art-form. Sharing how I/we like to do it is always a delight, because it is an intense driving passion: and done right can be every bit as euphoric as social style play with others... and can become addictively creative.

    ReplyDelete