Monday 6 August 2018

WIP Week

Unfortunately no game report this post, my gaming space is being used to "rough out" ideas for creating a modular urban layout.
I've cut a dozen 1ft squares from 5mm foamcore, and I'm using my eclectic mix of mdf buildings, along with the TT Combat mdf paving.
Much head-scratching going on at the moment, as I try to realise just what I've got in my minds eye, and I'll keep you informed on my successes and failures via progress reports!

Using my 'playing area' for large modelling projects has been OK up to now, but this week it's really been a pain in the posterior by slamming the brakes on the run of campaign games. It's a poor compromise and I really must sort out an alternative solution!! 

The paint table has seen a flurry of activity this week. after I had a stroke of luck on ebay last week. Someone was selling their TWD:All Out War collection in two listings - the core set plus extras in one, and Prelude to Woodbury plus extras in the other. I thought the starting price was very reasonable so placed a bid on each........ to my amazement no-one else bid on them!
The zombies and four of the survivors were painted to a nice standard, and all they needed was their bases painting grey (the previous owner had chosen green) and the minis treating to a coat of Army Painter 'Strong Tone' wash to tie them in with my own zeds.

So, I've added to the horde via the All Out War core set,
Prelude To Woodbury expansion,
and the walker from the "Carol" booster.
There's another walker in the Andrea booster, but I didn't spot him in his black primer when I grabbed the rest and he's currently under the brush!
The four painted survivors again just needed grey bases, but a 'Soft Tone' wash to match my other "not yet infected" minis.

Apologies for the humble offering this week, but I figured that a paltry post is better than no post at all, and I thank you for your patience!

18 comments:

  1. That city set is looking good Greg, but figuring out lay out can be a pain, getting it right between looks & playable is never easy.

    Nice score on the Z's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank - I could have avoided the need to build these boards if only I'd done a bit of forward planning ;-)
      The mdf buildings all have integral bases, and if I'd cut the front edges off flush with the front wall, they'd fit anywhere on 'generic' mats etc!

      Delete
  2. Fancy scenery making getting in the way of gaming ( story of my life ! LOL) great looking offering none the less and what a fabulous find on Ebay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave - good to hear I'm not alone :-)
      Thankfully, now I've cracked the configuration issue I can work on each 1ft square individually and free up the table. It's been a hectic week since this post, but the next few days SHOULD give me a bit of gaming time :-)

      Delete
  3. Whenever you score a bargain like this on eBay it is always a joyous occasion. Sometimes you do get lucky and find you're the only person making a bid. The figures look very good and I'm sure you'll find numerous uses for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rare occasion, but yes, always worth celebrating Bryan :-)
      Looking at the retail prices, I picked up a whole host of stuff for just under 1/3 of the cost, so I'm extremely happy!

      Delete
  4. Great looking city set-up so far, still got sme way to go as you say, but it's just a matter of getting all your ideas straight.
    Great ebay find too, I stopped looking for zeds when my horde grew to 400!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joe, the mdf buildings could do with a bit of attention anyway (weathering etc) and this project is the ideal excuse to get them done.
      That's some horde you've got! I thought I'd call it quits when I hit the grosse, but I seem to pick them up out of habit...... and then of course there'll be a few to get for the Zomtober challenge ;-)

      Delete
  5. Bargain! They all look great touched up. I to have been adding to the Walking Dead cache this week after selling some of my old minis eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon - it was your TWD posts which finally tipped me over the edge and acquire a copy of the game :-)

      Delete
  6. The modular urban layout is off to a good start. It looks impressive already, so it should look pretty cool come game time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy :-)
      Still plenty to do to get it finished, but while my ATZ group are "out in the countryside" I thought that now was the time to tackle the urban environment ;-)

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, what a feeling it is when noone else bids,..lol. Watch for peeps like me that come in on the last few seconds though..lol. Nice score and congrats on the win. The work being done in the background is looking cool too...;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SW, and yes, it was the "snipers" that I expected to snatch the auction lots from under my nose! ;-)
      The new modular urban stuff is long overdue, I need to replace the effort I did with cork tiles which constantly warp.

      Delete
  8. I sympathise with you having to use the table to make scenery and game on, I have the same problem.
    Really looking forward to see how you approach the modular scenery, your thoughts and drawings would be good, I guess we all want something similar, it's how you resolve the join lines in my opinion.
    In the 1st photo - who makes the 2 buildings nearest us and the brownish one on the right, certainly the 1st 2 don't seem to have any finger joints showing which is always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John - one of the 'joys' of having three house cats, is that I can't game outside of my "safe room"... they'd be up on the table in the blink of an eye if I tried ;-)
      Thoughts and photo's I can provide, but no drawings I'm afraid because I didn't do any! It's all trial & error lol.

      The grey building is from Blotz, the tan one is by TT Combat, and the brown one is a recent acquisition from Sarissa Precision. Blotz use a "two ply" method for their walls which hides the finger joints, TT Combat provide laser cut card overlays to cover the joints, and Sarissa disguises them with the 'brickwork'.

      Delete
    2. Cats, don't talk to me about cats, I have some felt pieces that I used for woods, cornfields etc. The cats slept on them and 20 years later I still haven't got all the cat hairs out of the felt :)

      Thanks for the info on the MDF buildings, I am thinking when I get back home I want to progress the detective gaming and will need US town buildings, I'm torn between MDF and the World Works style of printed building.
      Cheers

      Delete
    3. You obviously know EXACTLY why I've created my "safe zone" John ;-) You'd also appreciate one of our "Everything tastes better with cat hair" mugs!! ;-)

      Always glad to try and help - but in this case I'm sitting squarely on the fence.
      The mdf kits are a quick solution for me, to get 'accessible' buildings onto the table asap. I'm a big fan of the pdf stuff, and hope to improve my pathetic modelling skills and add some to my terrain collection.
      I'm happy to use both side-by-side :-)

      Delete