Sunday 4 October 2020

Zomtober 2020 Week One

 

By way of introduction to the 2020 challenge Phil wrote “please raise your brushes in tribute to Bryan Scott A.K.A. Vampifan who passed on in March this year”.

Truth to tell, it was Bryan and his awesome blog that got me into zombie apocalypse gaming and he's in my thoughts every time I indulge in this corner of the hobby, so I “raise a brush” every time I add to my collection of survivors or the zombie horde – what could I do as something 'special'?

One of my standout memories from Bryan's write-ups was of Vampifan making his way to the office during the “Day One” scenario (seen here in this photo from his blog).

 

Of course “That Mini” of Vampifan wearing his iconic Vampirella T Shirt and toting his assault rifle and katana became pretty iconic, featuring not only in the campaign, but quite often in any photo's that required a miniature to illustrate scale. I think it's pretty fair to say that it became Bryan's avatar.

I hope no-one thinks I'm being disrespectful – my intention is very much the opposite, but for this weeks entry I decided to “invite Vampifan along”, and so present my own version of the man himself.


I'm quite pleased with how he's turned out, especially considering I only had a day-and-a-bit to get him done and I never normally attempt freehand work !

I dunno if he'll ever actually appear 'in game' (would that be inappropriate?), but he'll be on the shelf overlooking the table for all of my ATZ games in the future.

Many thanks for dropping by, and please visit the rest of the guys taking part in the challenge this year.

 

18 comments:

  1. Sensational stuff, which I'm sure Bryan would absolutely have loved. Great choice of mini and excellent freehand. Bryan was always using fellow bloggers in his BatReps, so I strongly doubt he'd mind appearing in one of yours - quite the opposite I'd say :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm glad the freehand passes muster, and you've reassured me that the choice of subject hasn't been seen as inappropriate or disrespectful :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice homage to your friend & mentor. Its the little things such as this that retain the memories. I am sure you will continue to honour his memory with more cameo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Terry, your words are much appreciated :-)

      Delete
  3. Great rendition of Vampifan Greg, and fantastic freehand. I'm sure he would have loved to be part of your zombie games, he was the one who highlighted your blog to me as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Bryan was definitely a huge driving force for the zombie gaming genre on the blogosphere and is much missed.

      Delete
  4. I think that’s a great tribute to a blogger that was such a big part of the community!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. You should be rightly proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. "Pleased as punch" to have pulled it off, but it'll be a long while before I attempt anymore freehand! :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Greg, great tribute showing the photo of the board on day 1 and you've done a fantastic job on the mini. I'm quite sure Bryan would enjoy appearing on your table, I think he would be tickled pink about it.

    I saved all his first campaign games and still have them, and like you I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.
    I have to say that seeing the picture of his table reminds me how much I liked the look and feel of it, the WW Buildings will always be the iconic Zombie stage in my eyes.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John - I'll certainly try and "channel" a bit of Bryan's approach to the game whenever this mini takes to the table!
      Like you, I've saved quite a collection of his buildings and board layouts for reference and inspiration :-)

      Delete
  7. Great rendition of the figure with the iconic rendition of Vampirella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, and BTW, I've left you a little comment over on your latest post which MIGHT help a bit with the new blogger interface (fingers crossed)!

      Delete
  8. A very fitting tribute to Bryan Greg & I'm sure he would approve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank - I'll probably count this one as my "half decent" offering, the rest will most likely be done to my usual functional no frills standard :-)

      Delete