Monday 24 December 2018

An encounter at Arithdale part one

What follows is a true and faithful account of the action at Arithdale, a skirmish which resulted from the events recounted here: The Road To Arithdale

Captain Jepson and part of his company of Trained Band musketmen accompanied doctor Hugo back to the bridge near Arithdale, but finding no sign of the enemy, continued to the village itself with muskets loaded and matches alight,
though the precaution seemed unnecessary since only a few disheveled looking villagers were to be seen shambling around the streets.
(Old Mother Bankes remained out of sight at the end of the street)
With the arrival of the soldiers, the nearest "villagers" turned and made their way awkwardly towards them - the plague doctor quickly recognizing, by their corpse-like complexions, that these were no simple village folk and raised the alarm.
Stepping forward, the front rank took aim and fired.........
...... all three musket balls found their marks, yet only two of the abominations fell dead in the street (only two headshots), while the third continued on, the gaping wound clearly visible in its chest.
Sergeant Jones charged into the black powder smoke to attack the creature with his halberd,
and only just managed to get the better of the beast as it fought back with tooth and nail!
What on God's earth were these foul beings?


At this point dear reader, the skirmish must pause. This is as far as I've got before both sides declared a time honoured truce, so they can share a pipe of tobacco and engage in a traditional game of foote the ball on the village green.
Hostilities will resume after the festive celebrations.

Merry Christmas


13 comments:

  1. Great intro Greg, hope you have a very merry Xmas and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, and compliments of the season to you and the family :-)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic start to what I'm hoping will be a very entertaining encounter. As with all of these games from your campaign, I'm rooting for the undead side. I'm wondering what Old Mother Bankes has in store?
    I wish you and your family my best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan - I already guessed whose side you'd be on :-)
      As for OMB, I'm hoping to get the game finished in the next couple of days.
      Have a great Christmas buddy :-)

      Delete
  3. I'll save this for later but just wanted to wish you and Mrs Greg a happy Christmas, off to cook the turkey in a mo.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, I hope you're having a great day, despite being on chef duties with the bird :-)
      Merry Christmas to all at Chateau V.

      Delete
    2. Well all the food and drink has been consumed, well not all but we did our best and I finally got to reading this, great start to the continuing tale and don't be too long finishing the game as I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
      Take care.

      Delete
    3. Boxing Day was our last gig of the year, so it's full steam ahead to get the game finished and written up :-)

      Delete
  4. Nice build up Greg, I know its a bit late but many happy returns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frank, I had hoped to get a bit further with the game before all the Christmas distractions took over.
      I've kept it ticking over whenever a chance cropped up during the festivities, and should have it played to completion in short order :-)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks muchly Mike.
      The next post should be done this evening - I'm writing it up in dribs and drabs today as and when I get chance to sit at the computer :-)

      Delete
  6. Hi Everyone,This was how me and my Boyfriend became VAMPIRES. I got a guy from the internet called Lord who was a VAMPIRE so i told him that me and my boyfriend would love to become a VAMPIRES so he asked me of my Name ,Country, Age ,State , address and in the next 3 days i got the blood sample through the DHL which me and my boyfriend took in the blood into our body and in the next 30 minutes we turned into a VAMPIRE so if you are interested in becoming a VAMPIRE. First: Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books, Sure. I understand. You are young; you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete