Thursday 16 November 2017

Stocks and Shares

I mentioned earlier that there were several projects on the go, but flitting between them all was delaying getting anything finished - definitely a lesson learned and in future I'll be more focused!

"Stocks and Shares"?  First off, this set of "Village Stocks" are the old 1/72nd Airfix kit, now sold by Dapol. They're under-scale for 28mm mini's, but I thought they'd make a nice scenic accessory for the ECW project, where I'm using this scale of buildings for the larger battles.

"Shares"?, here's another shout out to Joe (of Zabadak's ZombieWorld) with a "Thank You" for sharing a tip about some cheap and cheerful 'Hummers'. These were cheapo-shop toys way back in the past, but I've kept my eyes peeled for some after reading Joe's post and was delighted to find some in a charity shop!
The toys are unglazed, but Joe very cleverly used thin card cut to fit inside the bodyshells - an idea I've shamelessly stolen.

So, with the punny title out of the way, here's the rest of the stuff that's been cluttering my bench! To accompany the Hummers, I picked up a box of Warlord Games 'Special Operations Team' and painted 'em up to represent National Guard troops since it's still "early days" in my ATZ campaign.

Typical! You wait ages for a bus (shelter), then two come along at once!
These are TTCombat models that come as a pair, and I've hardly laid a brush on 'em - deciding to try white and red oxide primer rattle-cans to spray paint the parts before assembly.

Here's another mini from my last "Reaper" order, a Grave Wraith from their 'Bones' range. 
I previously had five wraiths, so could only field three as a "reduced model unit" (each mini taking two kills before being removed) when I showed the Undead Warband last time. Adding this one brings the unit up to its proper strength and along with the zombie unit painted last month completes the warband.
Oops, the daylight bulb has pointed out that I need to give 'em a waft of "anti-shine matt varnish!
While on the subject of finishing off Dragon Rampant warbands, the Dwarf general still needed mounting on a 'proper' base incorporating his "Hit Dice" (to keep track of how many losses he takes as a single model unit) - and here he is...

The town folk for the 17thC campaign have had a burly blacksmith (Reaper Bones range) and game keeper (from the Warlord Games "Firelock Storming Party") added to their number....
... and the first two regiments of foote have been mustered. Very much a "Levee en Masse" (or 'film extras' painting as I prefer to call it), as I rush to paint enough units to try out the "Victory Without Quarter" rules.

So, fifty mini's, four vehicles and three terrain pieces - and I WON'T be doing so much stuff simultaneously ever again!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, that really was a lot of stuff going on at once. I'd have never have got them finished, no matter the work complexity.

    Just started buying TTCombat items, myself, and I have to say I'm impressed with them and the items I bought of there's. Definitely a company that I'm planning on buying from again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely "too much" Roy, to the extent that I'd created a bit of a backlog and struggled a bit to clear it.
      If you like the TTCombat stuff, I think you'll be interested in my next terrain post - I've found a supplier of laser cut buildings that doesn't seem to get too much mention across the blogs ;-)

      Delete
  2. Another wonderfully eclectic post, which reminds me that I could do with some stocks for my Witchfinder village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, if you're looking for something "in scale" I saw some stocks on the 'Black Cat Bases' website AFTER I'd started the Dapol ones!

      Delete
  3. Good grief, you have had a lot going on.
    The stocks and pillory would probably be a good addition for a lot more genres too, the blacksmith too I'm guessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Joe, you're definitely right, and I was thinking of your Pirates project while I was painting him :-)
      Incidentally, I'll end up with a few of the Warlord Games ECW mini's "spare" (like the gamekeeper), so if you spot anything on the blog you think would fit your project and you fancy just let me know - if I've if I've got leftovers from the sets you're more than welcome to them!

      Delete
  4. A most excellent post with so much to applaud here. You most certainly have been busy and that is to be admired. I think if you have multiple projects on the go at any one time it helps combat staleness and getting bored doing the same thing. You're a man after my own heart! For me I'd have to pick your National Guard as my favourite, simply because I see these particular figures so rarely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bryan. If I wasn't averse to posting works in progress, I wouldn't have given myself such a headache getting this lot finished ;-)
      I agree 100% that having a variety on the workbench is a GOOD thing though - I just need to keep the amount in check!
      Glad you like the National Guard, I downloaded photo's to work from but the urban DPM lost its definition when I stippled on the third shade of grey, and then more or less disappeared with the soft tone wash :-(

      Delete
  5. Stonking stuff Wargame Addict, with plenty of eye candy and a grand nod to Joe's wonderful blog as well. I happy to like the Blacksmith most myself - corking beard!! Lots of the go clearly, and plenty of mojo to get them painted :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon - I should have posted the blacksmith as a "Movember" mini ;-)
      With Christmas on the horizon, I'm painting and modelling like mad when I get the chance - not because I'm going into hibernation, but hopefully so I can get some gaming done :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow, definitely plenty of eye candy on offer here Greg. So much completed, with lots of variation to keep everybody happy. My own TT bus shelters are partly painted, I do wish I’d painted them before assembling...

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy. I just KNEW that if I tried to paint the shelters after assembling them, I'd either mess up the clear glazing at the back or take AGES trying not too.
      Once I'd decided to pre-paint, spraying became an option and these little structures have been a test piece for future builds doing it this way :-)

      Delete
  7. So many different things going on at once I thought I was reading one of my own posts lol! Seriously though, this is brilliant top to bottom - sure there is a lot of things going on, terrain, figures from all kinds of different eras, and even a tracking model, but it all looks fantastic! Well done Greg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor, "variety is the spice of life" allegedly ;-)
      Incidentally, I've been rummaging through earlier posts on your own blog (I only discovered it during the Zomtober challenge), and WOW! Your terrain is AMAZING :-)

      Delete
  8. Holy jeez and I thought I had a variety of periods and interests. Great post Greg. Love the hummers and town. Nice moderns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim - I've got TOO many periods of interest tbh ;-)
      Looking at some of the dormant projects, I reckon some are actually "dead" and need to be cleared out.... I might start a "Trading Post" on the blog before consigning them to ebay.

      Delete