Tuesday 21 November 2017

Every Little Helps!

After the last couple of eclectic posts, I've gone all single minded this week and focused on the 17thC stuff. This has come about for a couple of reasons - my Black Cat Bases order finally arrived (still no sign of the Gringo40 stuff btw) and I couldn't wait to crack on with a pair characters in it for 'Witchfinder General'.

The Vampire Count who fled to England from Transylvania to avoid the upheaval of the Thirty Years War,

and the vampire hunter who is on his trail!

 Secondly, I've set myself a HUGE task if I'm going to have two playable forces for a few games of "Victory Without Quarter" over the Christmas holidays, so the muster continues........

....... the six guys on the left on round bases will be 'dual purpose' and represent a single stand of Firelock muskets as a Trayne of Artillery Guard (no lighted match near the powder barrels please!) for VWQ, as well as giving me half a dozen musket armed troops for WfG.
The three stands of a second blue Regiment of Foote and two stands of ragtag Commanded Shotte brings the total up to five units, so I can move on to the horse and artillery next!

Short and sweet this post, and I just have to close by singing the praises of Colonel Bill's first rate service.
As soon as I saw the 'gypsy girls' on Roy's blog (Never Mind The Jankers!) I knew they'd be a great addition to the Count's entourage so added them to an order. The order arrived within 48hrs, and when I emailed Stu over a slight mix-up with one of the mini's, a replacement arrived the very next day.
Absolutely First Class and highly recommended if you ask me!!


16 comments:

  1. Marvellous stuff, Wargame Addict. The scenery behind your vampire and witch finder really sets the minis off in the photos. Good luck with the challenge - I'll be rooting for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Simon.
      It's going to be tight, especially since I'm determined to get some gaming done in my hobby time as well!

      Delete
  2. Splendid stuff. I do like these sculpts and think I have them kicking around somewhere myself - well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were certainly worth waiting for Michael, and the good news is that the 'follow-up' order isn't going to take anything like as long to arrive :-)

      Delete
  3. They;re great sculpts and look their respective parts; an aar witch-hunting in the offing soon then ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like 'em Joe :-)
      To paraphrase the Dashing Dice Games blurb "Witchfinder General: Days of Revelation is set during the period of the 17th Century. Courageous Witchfinders battle against the many vile abominations that plague a once green and pleasant land. Clandestine vampire factions secretly strive to gain ultimate power over a deceived nation. Cruel barguests create fear and mayhem across town and country. Evil witchcraft is rife; vicious werewolves savage the innocent and crazed noctelinger hunt in the shadows." - but I'll also be trying out Ganesha Games 'Fear & Faith' rules in the same setting, just to see which I prefer :-)

      Delete
  4. Anything that has vampires in it immediately attracts my attention. I'm not familiar with your vampire and vampire hunter figures but that's probably because of the period they're supposed to be from. Suffice to say, I'll be following this project with keen interest even if I do know so little about the setting and rules you're using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda thought they'd be your cup of tea Bryan ;-)
      17th century Britain has a surprisingly rich seam of folklore and myth to tap into - and I'm keen to get started and look forward to your feedback :-)

      Delete
  5. I have to say I really like the two Vampire Count and Hunter models. Cracking sculpts, and they've painted up really well.

    The Witchfinder rules aren't something I'm familiar with (Stu knows them, I believe), so I might look into them a bit and see what possibilities there is with them ... Anything is better than painting the nudey figures for Stu (the novelty wore off fast, tbh). And the TMP arguments get me down a touch.

    I'll pass on your praise to Stu, when I'm working on Friday. Thanks for that. I did actually mention that I'd been talking to a fellow blogger who'd been painting and displaying some C17th civilians of the Depot Battalion (meaning yourself), so I can finally confirm who I was talking about when I tell him it was the chap with this weeks Gypsies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact they've painted up well speaks volumes for the quality of the sculpts Roy - it's certainly not my painting skills! ;-)
      The WfG rules look to be an OK skirmish set, but I believe their strength lies with the supernatural elements added.
      I'm afraid I only use TMP as a "reference source" - far too much negativity on there for my preferences. As for painting all that bare flesh, I can only sympathise ;-)
      If you metion "hub caps" to Stu, he'll know EXACTLY who you're talking about!!!! Lol.

      Delete
    2. Yes, mentioning "hub caps" did the trick! That was the topic of conversation during the hold-up in traffic at Scotch Corner's A1 Junction.

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! Glad you had something better to talk about than the never-ending A1 "upgrade" ;-)
      Yes, she's arrived with her own back story for the campaign courtesy of Stu's wit!

      Delete
  6. I love that Vampire Count sculpt Greg, so much character, look forward to seeing the Gypsy girls too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Ladies" should make their appearance next week, the gypsy girls AND the Count's missus ;-)
      (I might even get a couple more witches done)

      Delete
  7. Very inspirational. I love the Count. I haven't had the pleasure to have a copy of the Witchfinder General rules but I have heard good things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the "arch enemy" in the campaign, he probably won't get used on the table for a considerable amount of time - I just HAD to paint him up asap though, so that it's not just a piece of white metal that's pulling the strings in the background ;-)
    I'll definitely be using most of the "fluff" from the WfG rules, but will be playtesting a couple of options before deciding which rules to use regularly.

    ReplyDelete