Monday 18 March 2019

Here Be (the) Monsters

of The Forbidden Fortress core set.

Despite it being "Birthday Week" - my own and the financial dictator's are six days apart, so we have an extended annual bash, it's also been fairly busy work-wise, but thankfully I've still managed to get the beasties for Forbidden Fortress painted up and ready to use.

First up are the Acidic Tentacles. These belong to a huge beast that lives beneath the floor of the fortress and are capable of bursting up to attack the heroes at any time!
 Next are the Dishonoured Dead - the skeletal remains of the fortresses mortal defenders who fell foul of The Darkness, and now reanimated to serve a new, foul, master.
The Tengu are the first of the truly "mono pose" mini's. That minor gripe aside, I do like these creatures and their ability to fly over any obstacles in the fortress will probably make them a dangerous foe!
More mono pose, this time in the shape of three large Oni, evil demons now serving The Darkness.
The largest of the horrors that the heroes will face from the core set is the Living Statue,
while one of the smallest (yet possibly most dangerous) is the ghostly Harionago, levitating while her long barbed hair weaves about her, ready to impale any of the heroes who might get too close!

As with the heroes, I've painted all the bases plain black as per the illustrations in the painting guide, but intend re-visiting them as soon as I come up with a plan that will make them look OK on both the game tiles and the table top.
Short and sweet progress report, but a post is a post. As ever, many thanks for dropping by and any C&C's are more than welcome in the comments section.

19 comments:

  1. Wow! These are really nice mate. I do the whole black bases thing for board games too, it just makes sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy, the black bases are perfect for board gaming, but I just want to add "summat" so they won't be so stark if I use them in games on a battle mat / grass mat / textured board - a fair bit of head scratching going on about how to acheive this :-)

      Delete
  2. Hope you both had a great birthday, the monsters all look stunning. As for the bases, always a tricky one if you want them dual purpose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Dave, we had a great "level up celebration" ;-)
      I was also very lucky with some of my prezzies - yet more additions to the paint queue :-)

      Delete
  3. They're fantastic, Greg. I like them all but my favourite is the Harionago - a stunning model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, and thank you one more time for steering me in the direction of this game - I'm aware that the blog will be taking even more of a samurai era bias because of it, but I'll make sure to keep the other genres featured :-)

      Delete
  4. Outstanding stuff, Greg. Those are some truly awesome paint-jobs on some excellent miniatures. When are the AARs starting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Simon, the quality of the miniatures flatters my basic paint jobs ;-)
      As stated previously, I've given up trying to predict when things are due to appear on the blog (cos I'm never right). but now the painting's done the AAR shouldn't be far off :-)

      Delete
  5. A great assortment of monster, no doubt each with varied strengths and weaknesses for the 'heroes' to overcome, but you did leave the best until last- Harionago is a stunning model aided by your xcellent renditio, making her look very malevalent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Joe, the Harionago is the only one that I strayed from the painting guide (the suggested scheme was too colourful for my taste, so I went with images from the interweb for inspiration) - your kind comment has made me feel happier with my decision :-)

      Delete
  6. Absolutely cracking stuff Greg!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor, I know we were exchanging comments and ideas around classic dungeon crawl games not long ago, but I couldn't resist the urge to crack on with Forbidden Fortress - blame my butterfly brain ;-)

      Delete
  7. That's a great collections of evil you have there Greg, I look forward to seen them on the big screen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I'll do my best, but I'm not too sure how "photogenic" a board game will be - only one way to find out though so please stay tuned :-)

      Delete
  8. Nice work These all look corking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Simon, they've made me think back to Games Workshop's "Dungeonquest" - the first board game I used the minis from as part of other, table top wargame forces.
      That was back in the 1980's!!!!!! :-)

      Delete
  9. Those Tengu are simply sublime. I WANT them! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ;-)
    So what do you reckon about those "clouds" on their bases - Water Margin, or Monkey ?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um I have a few from Impact Miniatures, and they look great but they are Anime style so not really ideal for my other non Chibi stuff. I think they can look amazing if done right but I struggle to make clouds look good :-)

      Delete