Tuesday 12 December 2017

Bah Hum Blog!

Well, here we are, over a week on, after previously saying that I was hoping to post an AAR at "the back end of the week"!
I hereby acknowledge the fact that the Yuletide season IS going to impact on my previously well laid blogging plans -  and alternative arrangements are now the order of the day.

To be honest, putting up the decorations, chauffeuring  SWMBO and my Mum on their shop-pain trips, and doing the "Christmas Party" gigs aren't the only drain on hobby time - oh no! It's "That Time Of Year" again, so of course one of the major household appliances had to break down, and this year it's the washing machine that I've had to read the last rites over. (Much less of a disaster than last year, when it was the combi-boiler's turn!!). Then there's the "Speed Awareness Course" I've got to attend to avoid the 3 points on my license, after getting zapped doing 37 in a 30 zone (speed freak eh?)...... 2:30 in the morning heading home on the Nottingham ring road - dual carriageway all the way, but with 40mph AND 30mph sections to trap the unwary and ensure there's sufficient funds in the Nott's Constabulary Christmas Party Fund. Oh well, it's only a 4 hour course, and I've only got to drive to PETERBOROUGH to attend it - I'll just have to put my foot down to get home at a reasonable time in the evening LOL.

So, "alternative arrangements" for what?  Well I'm glad you asked, because considering the current weather conditions here in the East Midlands, one thought has led to another and there's been an appropriate 'snowball' effect, and I'll itemize them below......
It all started with the WfG game that didn't take place last week, and the report that failed to materialise. Currently I'm just blogging 'on the fly' so I'm constantly setting myself deadlines (and failing to meet them).
1) I'm going to try and change the way I blog and build in a bit of "slack" by getting ahead of the game - I've got enough projects on the go at any one time to be able to do this, so it makes sense.

Speaking of which, the one thing I HAVE managed to keep up with in spite of all the demands on time, has been the painting and basing of some more 17th century mini's.
This has only been possible because I'm lucky enough to have easy access to my painting table, and have just cracked on doing 'little and often' whenever I'd normally just sit down with a brew, check the mail,  check the blogs, print stuff off for work etc, etc.
Considering the fact that I've not had chance for a proper painting session at all this week, I've still managed to bash out a troop of horse,
a regiment of mounted dragoons, (apart from their pennant),
and a couple of witches for WfG (plus their 'interesting' cauldron).

Despite the progress, painting the ECW mini's for the game that was "hopefully going to be over the Christmas period", I've realised that I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew!
Funny how your memory works isn't it ?? I'd quite forgotten just how much more time it takes to assemble and paint up mounted units! Yep, I was WAY OFF with my guesstimation of how long it would take to put two opposing armies together!
2) It's pretty obvious now that an ECW "battle" isn't on the cards before the New Year - so I'm going to lower my sights and aim at playing a skirmish action, and
3) This in turn has got me thinking about going for a smaller scale (yet to be decided - 15mm, 6mm, or even 2mm) for the large "battles".

Finally, going up into the loft for the Christmas decorations gave me the opportunity to bring down the last remnants of my previous "gaming life". Along with the stuff already in (and on top off) my WARdrobe. I was delighted to find some bits and bobs I'd completely forgotten about, that will come in useful, but t here's stuff here that I don't think will ever get used, so
4) I'm going to have a clear out!

I hope the above hasn't bored the pants off you too much, and that everyone is staying warm (and safe if you're venturing out on the roads), and you come back soon to read a 'normal' post.

21 comments:

  1. More lovely models, Wargame Addict, with plenty of horse for your "ECW".

    "I've realised that I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew!" - Hah Hah! Join the club most of us have been members of at some point, my friend. Still it already looks as if you've minis enough for some sort of "ECW" skirmish imho :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not a very "exclusive club" Simon ;-) It just took me by surprise how quickly I fell through the doors after a comparatively short time back in the hobby!
      I just need to juggle the modelling/painting v playing balance a bit better :-)

      Delete
    2. Perhaps you'd care to join me in the Partially-Painted Pledge challenge next year then? ;-)

      Delete
    3. I couldn't possibly comment until I've seen what Santa leaves under the tree ;-)

      Delete
  2. 10mm from Pendraken Miniatures are always worth a look, if you haven't already. Good stuff (the newer ranges - not the mid-90s bits that are being replaced) and the customer service is great. I'd recommend them if you're looking at smaller sizes.

    Irregular Miniatures' 2mm blocks aren't bad, either. Again, good miniatures (for their size and price) and good customer service. But then you probably already know this since you listed 2mm as an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd completely overlooked 10mm Roy, so thanks (I think!!) for throwing in the option ;-)
      At the moment, 2mm is looking favourite simply because I already have a 'stash' of terrain along with the Irregular Napoleonics. (Plus of course, they'd be the quickest to paint)

      Delete
    2. Yep, two 2mm Nap armies are the only things I've ever managed to completely paint up and call the project finished. Then I never used them. Doh!

      Delete
    3. You did better than me - I painted up the terrain, then never touched the mini's. Double Doh!

      Delete
  3. Haha, it's that time of year again, which I also hate for all of the reasons you've addressed above.
    Like yourself I;m also managing to get some hobby-work done too, even if it's just reading and a little painting whilst the sun shines!
    I enjoyed my speed awareness course but did get a centre much closer- just sit back and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the song, "It's the most, wonderful time, of the year......." - but it's also the time of year that seems to FLY BY! ;-)
      Not only are the daylight hours shorter, but there's just so much else to do that infringes on our hobby time. (Though you've done really well as far as I can see from your last post Joe)
      As for the Crash Course For Speed Freaks, I'll let you know what I think when I've done it ;-)

      Delete
  4. Those witches are excellent mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Andy, only a couple more to get to complete the "coven", so I'd better get googling for likely candidates :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely minis, diversified and beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, but the hags beautiful???
      They've obviously hexed you - I'll send a preacher round and get you sorted ;-)

      Delete
  6. I feel your pain, mate! Soldier on as best you can.

    I, too, love those witches and their cauldron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan, though it's a "self inflicted wound", so I really shouldn't get any sympathy, it's much appreciated!
      I wasn't sure about actually painting and using the cauldron that came with the set, but thought "why not?!" I'm really glad I didn't chuck it in the lead pile now, since painting it (him/her?) has produced a potentially interesting character for the campaign ;-)

      Delete
  7. Well, if it ain't fun then don't do it :-) ! Sometimes we get so fixated on a project that we don't realise it has become a chore rather than a pastime. A step back and some reflection may fix the problem, one way or another. At least, that's how it is for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've already followed your advice in advance Hugh - it was just really bad planning on my part, which I've happily fobbed off under the "inexperienced" label ;-)
    Though I'm sure most of us go through a "love / hate" phase with aspects of our hobby occasionally, and I thank you for sharing your wisdom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best laid plans often fall foul to real life speed bumps, but good to hear you've still managed some hobby along the way, the models shown look great, and hope the rest of the festive season fairs better for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Building a stack of forward posts. Hahaha. Life is busy and it does interfere with our hobbies doesn't it now.

    Those mounted units are coming along nicely, despite the time it takes to get them on the table. Well done!

    ReplyDelete